Wednesday, August 13, 2014

In Good Humor

One of the many things I love about my husband is how he makes me laugh. Sometimes before falling asleep in bed, we start chatting, then we get goofy, and we end our day together in laughter. We have so many inside jokes that most people would just look at us and think we're crazy. For example...

My husband says, "You're so gorgeous! How do you do it?"
I reply, "I breathe in, and I breathe out."
"You make it look so easy!" he says.

It's silly, I know. Don't worry if you don't understand.

We also like puns, though there is a certain population who groans and argues that puns are the lowest form of humor there is. But I argue back with this: puns are rarely made at the expense of another person.

I see the things that people pass on on Facebook. I know some of those jokes are meant to be funny. But many of them just make me angry, because many of them put down marriage and husbands, and perpetuate the idea that men are generally useless and dumb. One example I saw the other day said something like this:


"What is marriage?" a girl asks her mother.

Her mother replies, "Marriage is adopting a male child who is too old to live with his parents."

And then there are the 'lists'. They are usually titled 'Top Ten…' or '25 Things to Know About…' I read one of these lists because it was about pregnant women (addressed to the men in their lives) and I felt my anger growing within me. (I had promised not to rant on my blog, so I will do my best to keep my words toned down.) The list, again in an attempt to be funny, said things like "Pregnant women are lazy." and "You will lose your place in bed to pillows." Then the author elaborated on these statements by telling the men to "just accept this", "take care of yourself", and "don't tell the women about this list."

No encouragement to be supportive: But you are BETTER than pillows! Love on your wife during this time! Talk to her! Hug her!
No emphasis on being understanding and serving: Know that pregnancy can make women feel tired and uncomfortable. Ask her how you can help with daily tasks.

There are so many things this author COULD have said instead.

Humor is wonderful. I love to laugh! But I would rather laugh with my husband than at my husband. And not all jokes are good; jokes that cloak a deeper message can be harmful. Next time you hear or read a joke, think about it. Are you laughing only because a certain other person is not in the room? Is this a joke you could tell your spouse or children? Is there a subtext to this joke that is not in line with God's word? Ask yourself these questions before you join in the banter in the break room or pass the joke on on your Facebook page. And remember these words from I Peter 3:

Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For "whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it."

No comments:

Post a Comment